As the mother of 2 girls, I pray daily for the Lord to give me wisdom, knowledge and understanding on how to raise them to be strong, intelligent and Godly women. With the crumbling of our current culture; raising modest, holy and chaste young women can be quite a daunting task. In this post I am sharing the first of 2 letters to my precious daughters Heaven Temilola Russell and Faith Temilayo Russell. Heaven’s name means – The wealth of Heaven is mine, or Heaven is forever mine. Faith’s name means Faith Brings Me Joy. Both of my darling girls exemplify traits of their names and it is so amazing to watch as they grow and blossom.
This letter is to my oldest daughter Heaven who is 15 and a junior in high school. I am writing to her about lessons in modesty, loving who she is and the true meaning of beauty.
My darling Heaven,
You are growing to be such a beautiful, intelligent and spirit filled young handmaiden and I am blessed to be your mother. I marvel at how much the Lord has blessed you and I am so proud of all that the Lord has enabled you to accomplish. I know that you are nearing the end of your high school journey and soon you will embark on a very different voyage into a whole new world of college and young adulthood.
Oh my darling, I cannot even believe how time has flown. You are still so young and I yearn to protect you from so many things in this cruel and wicked world. I wish I could turn back the hands of time and keep you as my sweet little Heaven. I know my job is to prepare you for life, prepare you as best as I can to make the right decisions on how to be a virtuous young woman.
So my darling Heaven here are a few guiding principles that I want you to remember:
- True modesty & beauty starts from within, long before we put on any clothing, it radiates from our heart.
- God made women with curves and that is nothing to be ashamed about.
- It is not about being a particular size; it is about wearing clothes that are a good fit for your body.
- If you are not sure about the appropriateness of a certain outfit, always get a second opinion. ( If you don’t want to ask me or Daddy, ask someone)
- Modest does not mean frumpy, it is okay to look like you are a happy young 15-year-old, junior in high school!
- Sometimes modesty means wearing the right clothes for the right occasion, use wisdom especially when you are in church and up before the people of God.
- Your name is Heaven therefore you cannot act, live and end up in Hell!
- Exercise, eat right, do your best to keep your body healthy & love the body that God gave you.
- You are a lady; be sweet, gentle & kind to others
- Be a leader and not a follower, you are bright & have good sense – USE IT!
- Love yourself & don’t be afraid to be the beautiful young woman who God has created you to be.
- Save “Sexy” for marriage (That is a great place for it!)
- It is okay to admit that sometimes you don’t know how to express what you are feeling, that is why we have the Holy Spirit as a comforter
- If a guy says he loves you, then he will love your God.
- NO means NO! PERIOD! (when dealing with boys)
You will always be forever mine! I love you!